Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Going to London?



Feel like splurging a little? Want a taste of what life would have been like if you were to-the-manor-born? Then try Danesfield House, a hotel in Marlow that will pamper and please you to an extent you wouldn't think possible. My buddy John and I stayed here for a few days while on a business trip to the UK back in 1996. We knew we were in for a wonderful time when we drove up the graveled drive way into a courtyard illuminated by flaming torches. I've never had a more dramatic arrival experience in my life! The rest of our stay was just as impressive as our arrival. The accomodations were wonderful, breakfast on the verandah overlooking the Thames was indescribable, and the "small" bar has (or had, it's been a long time, now) an excellent selection of single-malts and Cuban cigars.
I was going to suggest a tour of the Brakspear brewery in nearby Henley-On-Thames, but I find the brewery closed in October, 2002. More's the pity! I did find that Brakspear Ale lives on, however. Ummm...Brit beer. A subject for another post on another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just be polite... that's all I ask.