Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I Didn't Leave MY Heart in SFO

I know I'm late to the party with this, but the blog is new, so the news will be old for a while. What to make of this? Bill O'Reilly has gone ballistic (whats new?) on the issue, but this time I think he has a point. Notice that the ballot measure doesn't outright ban recruiters from San Francisco campuses, it just says San Francisco should "discourage" recruiters. An outright ban would mean the schools lose whatever federal funds they're getting. Wouldn't wanna lose your place at the trough, eh guys?

This ballot initiative passed with 60% of the vote, according to the Yahoo article linked above. The vote doesn't surprise me, although I do find the results, or even the fact the measure made it to a vote, offensive. Why am I not surprised? I lived and worked in the Bay Area from July of 2000 until October of 2002. I have first-hand experience with SFO's "progressive" political climate, and I didn't like it. Most of the stereotypes are true. New York Times readers outnumber Wall Street Journal readers on BART by about 20 to one. Hell, NYT readers outnumber readers of the Chron, for Pete's sake! I won't go on and on... Anyway, I voted with my feet and left SFO. Couldn't take it any longer.

SFO is a beautiful city, arguably the most scenic city in the US. The restaurants are wonderful; I defy you to name a cuisine you can't get in that town. The voting public, on the other hand, need a refresher course in Civics. They are just so damned wrong.

More here, here, and if you must...here.

And don't get me started about the guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just be polite... that's all I ask.