Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Miscellaneous Thoughts

The Captain phoned last evening to let me know he arrived safe and sound in Alabama, sans “banjo on his knee.” He doesn’t even own a guitar, let alone a banjo. I was worried, in that typical non-sensical parental way, about the weather along his route, especially after he called on Sunday morning to announce he was delaying his departure from Dallas due to ice-encrusted everything. I kept one eye on the WX Channel throughout the extended weekend and it seemed his entire route was covered in pink, indicating ice. And you know there were all sorts of gruesome video clips of overturned vehicles, accompanied by horrendous accident statistics. I’m glad he’s safe.

It’s gonna be another Hockey Day in Portales. Some great match-ups on tap: The Czechs against the Slovaks. The Canadians against the Russians. The US against the Finns. I definitely want to watch all these games, the first two because of the rivalries involved, which always increases the intensity of play, and the third because…well, because it’s the US, innit? I think we’re doomed. The Finns are a veritable hockey MACHINE and they’ve shown no mercy to anyone in this tournament. I think the Finns are a good bet to take the Gold, the second best bet would be the Slovaks. I just finished watching Sweden disassemble those plucky Swiss, 6-2. I was rooting for the Swiss because they are the ultimate underdogs. I was surprised when they beat the Czechs, I was stunned when they beat Canada. But alas, their run is done. It’s pretty hard to beat a team with some of the best players in the world, especially now that Peter Forsberg is back in the line-up. And, apropos of nothing, why is the word “plucky” only used to describe losers with incredible heart? I’ve never seen it used otherwise.

Gotta go out to the store for consumables and this is the perfect time, what with a short delay in between hockey games. Yet, here I sit, tap-tap-tapping away at the keyboard instead of getting my tired ass down to the store before I miss anything in the world of Olympic Hockey. And yeah, all the muckety-mucks are still calling it “ice hockey.” Even the commentators, who come from the NHL, are doing it. Without exaggerated facial expressions, too. I’ll give them credit for that, because I KNOW the terminology is a real hot-button for serious hockey fans. But, ya can’t fight City Hall, even when you should.

Update 2/22/2006, 1118 hours: Damn! I missed the first two periods of US - Finland by watching the Swiss and the Swedes! How frickin' STUPID of me. The US is down, 4-2, and the third period has just begun. All isn't exactly lost, but it ain't looking good. And the audio feed sucks, again.

Update 2/22/2006, 1142 hours: Team USA scores on the power play: Brian Gionta takes an impossible pass from Drury to put it in the net. Drury made the pass while prone on the ice, a real highlight-reel play! It's a one-goal game with four minutes left.

Update 2/22/2006, 1152 hours: Finland wins, 4-3. The last two minutes were intense...The US pulls its goalie with about a minute and 20 seconds left and the play was exclusively in the Finnish end for the last 1:30, puctuated with two icings and two US face-off wins. All for naught, however. Finland holds on for the win. Team USA is done; more's the pity. Now I really will head out to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just be polite... that's all I ask.