Thursday, February 23, 2006

Sure Happy It's Thursday!

The title is an acronym, ya know.

Here’s a fun little thing I got from Lex, who got it from Argghhh!, who got it from Cassandra (who, btw, has the most deliciously retro 40s-style pin-up logo on her blog)… Lex ran the app and found out the Number One Hit abroad in the land was pretty bad on his children’s birthdays. I, and my kids, are substantially better off. The one notable exception is my nine-year old. Number One on his birthday? “Wannabe” by Spice Girls.” Can I get an OMG?

For the record… Me: "Rum and Coca-Cola" by The Andrews Sisters

Number One Son: “Summer in the City” by The Lovin’ Spoonful

Number Two Son: “Hey Jude” by The Beatles

TFMP: "Paper Doll" by The Mills Brothers

TSMP: "The Wayward Wind" by Gogi Grant

Fun stuff, especially if you’re into music. Don’t bother with the link if you were born before 1940, the info doesn’t go that far back. Ageism in action, for those of you who need additional outrage in your life.

Spent a bit of time last night reading Canadian blogs on the subject of “Russia 2, Canada 0.” Poor Wayne Gretzky. I’ve never read so many bad things written about The Great One, ever. Pat Quinn, Team Canada’s head coach, also received a great amount of negative criticism, and, as expected, individual players got the Hell beat out of them, too. One post title I found particularly illuminating (and true): “The Olympics are Now Officially Over in Canada.” There are some pretty knowledgeable hockey fans blogging out there. Good stuff, on the whole!

I’m semi-watching the Senate Armed Forces Committee hearings on the UAE port management deal. “Semi-,” as in the TVs ON but I’m only occasionally paying attention. It’s interesting to note the right side of the blogosphere is back-tracking on its initial, highly critical, position on this deal. Jim Geraghty of NRO has about the best and most succinct right-side retrenchment. Lileks took the highly unusual action of putting up a clarification to his ScreedBlog on the subject, which I linked, and quoted from, yesterday. It’s noteworthy The Usual Suspects (Senators Levin, Kennedy, and Clinton) remain highly-critical of the administration’s actions in reviewing and vetting this transaction. You maybe expected something else?

Spring is on the way! I’m heartened to see we on the High Plains of New Mexico are supposed to have our first (I think!) 80 degree day in the coming week. And it’s also good news to see we’ll remain above freezing overnight for the next ten days. This has a most favorable impact on my budget!

Got my annual love-letter from the Social Security Administration yesterday and I’m very gratified to see their calculations agree with mine, re: my benefit. I’ll submit my application for benefits in about 13 months. SS benefits will raise my net income by about 40%, which in turn means I’ll be able to either stop outright or seriously reduce the draw-down from my 401k; which in turn means the children will actually inherit something more than a pittance after paying the final expenses; and finally, it means a new Miata ain’t far behind that first Social Security check. For the first time in recent memory I’m actually looking forward to getting older.

6 comments:

  1. 1964 ... "Baby Love" by The Supremes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My, Becky...you've succeeded in making feel my age! I was on my second year in the AF then, and just a little over a year away from my first marriage. Your song figured prominently in TFMP's and my relationship, for better or worse! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It’s noteworthy The Usual Suspects (Senators Levin, Kennedy, and Clinton) remain highly-critical of the administration’s actions in reviewing and vetting this transaction. You maybe expected something else?"

    Yeah. I expected Bush to maybe, just once, behave intelligently. No chance of that, though. The idiot wants to use the first veto of his presidency on this no-brainer???

    Will someone, anyone, please start the impeachment process? It's long overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Don't/ I Beg of You" - Elvis Presley - 1958. It figures in with my hillbilly/rock-n-roll attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori sez: Will someone, anyone, please start the impeachment process? It's long overdue.

    Uh...Bring it ON! That would be the best mid-term election year gift the Dems could ever give the Republicans! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Yeah. I expected Bush to maybe, just once, behave intelligently."

    I'd rather have him do the right thing instead of "behave intelligently". You imply that he is not intelligent, but he should just pretend that he is. You might mistake his unwavering stances on certain things as indication that he is too stupid to know the difference. When in fact that is one of the most intelligent things he can do is stick to his ideals. The ideals that are shared by about 50% or so of the people of this country. He may appear to not have all the facts, but I don't believe that for one moment. When you tear down Bush as being stupid, you also insult half of this country as well. But then maybe you intend to.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.