Monday, February 26, 2007

Disgust. And What Passes for "Art" in these Parts.

So. I wake up this morning and the top item at memeorandum is the oh-so-predictable “Al Gore Takes Home the Statue! Cue the breathless gushing and the “Draft Al!” posts at the blogs of the usual suspects. Spare me. Please. But, no. What we’ll get is mindless gushing on the order of this sort of krep:

Gore has created a whole new career for himself as a media mogul with the help of his celebrity friends. He is leading a revolution in socially responsible media, and as his credibility grows in Hollywood, more and more celebrities are jumping on the bandwagon.

[…]

Ever since he has declared himself a “recovering politician” a vast portion of the American public seems to hang on his every word and looks ready to follow him into a twenty-first century environmental battlefield in Toyota Priuses. Would we really be paying this much attention to Al Gore if he weren’t surrounding himself with chiseled Hollywood faces?

[…]

What does it mean when Al Gore becomes more effective as a celebrity than a statesman? For one, it seems to justify the larger role Hollywood has begun to take in politics. If “Inconvenient Truth” can help fix global warming then who’s going to scoff at Brad and Angelina when they make quixotic statements about ending world hunger. After all, at least people will listen to them.

I think I’m going to be ill now… Ya know, after reading the discharge from which I excerpted the above I’ve simply lost all enthusiasm for blogging today.

I think I’ll go scrub down the bathroom.

Today’s Pic(s): I went outside the other day and attempted to catch an unusual sunburst effect of the sun hiding behind an overcast gray sky. Well, I was less than successful, as you can see by looking at the original photo. But…I created an interesting effect while playing around with one of the images and thought I’d share it. Artsy-fartsy, ain’t it?

Outside my door on February 22, 2007.

10 comments:

  1. It was pretty nauseating to watch it as well; I didn't stay up for the eventual Oscar to Gore, but I did have the unfortunate luck to see he and Leonardo DiCaprio shamelessly plug the documentary - for no apparent reason other than to tell the world that the Oscars were "green" this year...who cares?

    Add onto that the TWO times that a painfully scripted Leo tried to josh around about Gore throwing his hat into the Presidential ring - ugh.

    I used to respect Leo for his talent and ability to largely stay out of the tabloid limelight. I don't anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't watch it. I listened to Andrea Shay King on web stream and participated in their chatroom discussion. She had Blackfive on to discuss Victory Caucus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch any of the Oscar show either. Cody and I watched some "Making of The Return of The King" documentaries. They are much more interesting.

    All in all, I'm pretty sick of hearing about algore's "Convenient Half-Truths." And I never liked Leo. I thought he was a buffoon in the Titanic travesty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glen Beck commented today on his radio show that at least Leo really seems to believe in all that environmental conservation stuff. Most others are just on the bandwagon with lip service and don't actually do anything to conserve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not watch the Oscars either, but I caught the GMA news to see Gore get an Oscar. With Gore getting and Oscar, it makes the whole Oscar business a sham and belittles the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Al Gore in Hollywood? Ahhh, Hollywood. Perfect place for him. Reminds me of something... Something to do with fixing this Global Warming problem...
    Oh, I know! Hey, kids! Let's put on a show!

    Garland and Rooney embodied boundless, naive optimism. Is the mortgage due? The school in danger? The family business wiped out? Hey, let's put on a show! This is a fantasy view of life that some will never fully abandon.

    As the next decade began, it did not take long for the horrifying realities of a world at war to set in. Hollywood musicals reacted by waving the flag, drowning out the bombs and tanks with ballads . . . and the nostalgic "clang, clang, clang" of a trolley.


    From Musicals 101.

    Buck, you are too funny! You inspired me to clean out my closets today, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FWIW, I didn't watch the show, either. And maybe that's why I got sooo depressed this morning, even though I knew Gore was gonna win. How could he not?

    But...when I first looked at memeorandum this morning my VERY first thought was "Oh, yeah, the Oscars were last night." My second thought?

    Mr. Bill voice
    "Oh, NO!!! NO, Mister Hands, NOOOO..."
    /Mr. Bill voice

    And it was all downhill from there.

    My bathroom's clean, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROFL! Too funny. Today Glen Beck was on another rant about Gore's "carbon footprint" and how he uses a private jet to go around warning people of all these dangers, and how his house in TN has 20 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms and uses more energy in one month than the average US home uses in one year. But I guess he just wants us peons to actually conserve, he shouldn't have to.

    It's just another cash cow. Doesn't it make you sick?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laurie sez: Today Glen Beck was on another rant about Gore's "carbon footprint"...

    It ain't just Glen Beck...it was all over memeorandum last night and this morning, both Left and Right. The correct side of the 'sphere is laughing about Algore and the Left is...well, being the Left. Ya know, outraged! and offended! and we're not gonna take this! we'll fight back! all of us! ad nauseum. The HuffPo is typical, with the added advantage of links to all those ignorant, vindictive, Right-Wing $mear Machine posts.

    Good Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.