Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Barrel, Bottom Of...

I’m having the damndest time viewing videos today and it’s irritating the living HELL out of me. At first I thought it might be me, or rather my system, so I cleared my cache. Nothing. Then I closed out Firefox and re-opened it. No joy. So I rebooted the whole box, and things worked “normally”… for about six or seven minutes. And then: nothing. I click on a video…any video… and I get that swirly thingie in the center of the vid that indicates loading is in progress, but it’s clearly NOT. There’s also a message in Firefox’s status bar at the bottom of the screen that sez something to the effect of “connecting to cache.googlevideo.com” while the swirly thingie continues to swirl…but NO frickin’ video. This is driving me NUTS.
Which, as Mom used to say, is a short trip. A very short trip.
―:☺:―
Further on “Procrastination…” It occurred to me last evening that one of my “issues” these days is the decided lack of nagging in my life. Now most men would consider this particular lack a blessing, and I most certainly DO… most of the time. But, let’s be honest about this, Guys. A lot of stuff gets done around the house (other places, too) simply because the nag-ee desperately wants the nag-er to STFU. Or more diplomatic words to that effect. Men being men, inertia will raise its ugly lil head in the absence of “motivation.” We’ll do what’s expedient, we’ll do the absolute minimum of what’s required to keep us breathing, fed, and smelling less bad to those we encounter, and we’ll most definitely accomplish things that must be done in the face of penalties…such as paying the bills on time. But we’ll also put off to the VERY LAST MICROSECOND those things we find distasteful or even boring. If left to our own devices, that is. In my current situation, for example, I find reading every single game recap and poring over obscure hockey stats infinitely preferable to, say, doing laundry. Especially since I haven’t even come close to tapping the emergency vintage tee shirt supply, and I don’t wear socks once the temp is consistently over 60 degrees. Ergo: there’s no real need to do laundry, yet. That changes, once the supply of clean clothes runs out. Or: I’ll be off to the laundromat in my LAST clean tee shirt at the very last microsecond.
Necessity is the Mom of Execution in My World. NOT invention, as is commonly thought.
Oh. I don’t want a live-in nag, thankyouverymuch, if you’re thinking along those lines. Procrastination may be bad, but there are worse things in life.
―:☺:―
I’ve been keeping a weather eye (heh) on the skies all day… we’re under a severe t-storm watch as I speak, and although there’s been storms all around P-Ville today we’ve received nary a drop. Lotsa wind, though.
What’s new?
―:☺:―
Today’s Pics: From the “Wishing I Were Somewhere Else” files… and this place would be as good as any and better than MOST. An interior shot of my room at the Swissotel Hotel in A-dam, and the view from my window in that very same room. Taken during the Great European Divorce Tour of 1999.
Yes… we ARE scraping the bottom of the barrel. Time to fire up the ol’ scanner, innit?

11 comments:

  1. I like the pics. I've been wanting to escape, too. Toby seems indcreduous that I would want to go anywhere - again. Maybe I should nag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been able to watch video in Firefox. I have to use IE for that.

    I hear ya on the procrastination thing. I guess I do it because somewhere deep down inside I'm hoping all that dirty laundry will just disappear on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have problems watching videos, period. I just don't have patience to wait for them to upload, so I do without most of the time.

    Unless it's a trailer to a Harry Potter or the new Indiana Jones movie. Then I let the kids upload them for me. IF it will work.

    Would you like me to do a drive-by nag sometime? I'm very good at naggin, just ask hubby. LOL! Well, he's equally good at nagging, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will not comment on the video issue. I have dial-up so video watching is already excruciating.

    You must have a lot of underwear. Going that long with out doing laundry. And a lot of clothes for that matter!

    Such a man. Not making the bed before you take a picture of the room. ;)

    The view out the window is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, can pour over countless baseball statistics to make my horrid fantasy baseball team scratch and claw its way out of the cellar...and that gawdawful laundry pile casts its lazy eyes at me...and yawns. I hate laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always been a "procrastanator" and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Online, web-based autonagger (will send e-mail or SMS text reminders):

    http://www.rememberthemilk.com/

    Oh, Internets, is there *any* problem you can't solve? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lou sez: I like the pics. I've been wanting to escape, too. Toby seems indcreduous that I would want to go anywhere - again. Maybe I should nag.

    That travel bug bites hard and often, don't it? ;-)

    And nagging works, Lou. (I have an immediate grasp of the obvious.) :-)

    Becky sez: I've never been able to watch video in Firefox. I have to use IE for that.

    I hear ya on the procrastination thing. I guess I do it because somewhere deep down inside I'm hoping all that dirty laundry will just disappear on its own.


    Video always worked great for me in FF; it's only lately it's been blowing up (well, just sitting there...). I keep hoping someone will come by and do that laundry for me. OTOH, I had it done when I was in SFO... there was a cool lil Chinese laundry (really.) just up the block from me that had a "wash 'n' fold" service that was reasonable. I dropped off my laundry bag Saturday morning and picked it up Tuesday evening. Bliss!

    Jenny sez: Would you like me to do a drive-by nag sometime? I'm very good at naggin, just ask hubby. LOL!

    Hey! Now there's an untapped Home Business niche, if I ever saw one! Small market, tho.

    I hear ya about the video. I used to pass most of 'em by until my broadband connection showed up.

    Ashley sez: You must have a lot of underwear. Going that long with out doing laundry. And a lot of clothes for that matter!

    Underwear? ¿Cuál es ése? ;-)

    But I DO have a lot of clothes. Well, levis and tee shirts, anyway. I've never been a fashionista.

    Jay sez: ...and that gawdawful laundry pile casts its lazy eyes at me...and yawns. I hate laundry.

    We should form a club. Or sumthin'.

    Pat sez: Always been a "procrastanator" and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

    You and me both, Pat. But I'm kinda-sorta tryin'. (I HAD to say that...)

    Barry sez: Oh, Internets, is there *any* problem you can't solve? :-)

    Dang. Google has the same sort of service...sorta. I use their calendar to mark dates I can't ...or shouldn't... forget. Forgot about that. (Irony?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. News flash.... men do not have the corner on procrastination, it is a gender blind trait. We may just procrastinate on different things, but I have no lack of it. LOL!

    Regarding the videos, check to see if you need a flash or shockwave update, or one of those other video format thingies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I predict Laurie got it.

    Re-install Flash player, problem will be solved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laurie sez: News flash.... men do not have the corner on procrastination, it is a gender blind trait. We may just procrastinate on different things, but I have no lack of it. LOL!

    Regarding the videos, check to see if you need a flash or shockwave update, or one of those other video format thingies.


    What you said is true about procrastination, Laurie. But I think you of the female persuasion are a LOT better at nagging than we are...

    Re-installing Flash didn't do it, as far as the videos are concerned. Shockwave is next...

    Morgan sez: I predict Laurie got it.

    Re-install Flash player, problem will be solved.


    See above. Still screwing up, still refusing to play, even after a Flash re-install.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.