Saturday, July 18, 2009

Just Checkin' the Box

The fallout from last night's excitement: I had to get up on the roof and manually manipulate the awning to put it down late this morning. I'll not go into any long drawn out explanations, but it basically involved me NOT getting the awning's pull strap properly engaged in the awning's rolled up canopy last evening in order to re-deploy the awning when the time came, i.e., this morning. Mom's old admonishment about haste making waste MOST definitely applies here. "Time is of the essence" also applies, so it's a wash as to which old saw would be more appropriate in this case.

Anyhoo. So we clambered up on the roof, manually unrolled the spring-loaded awning in teeny-tiny increments until it was low enough to reach via step ladder, whereupon we descended from the roof and continued the deployment using said step ladder, followed by the final unfurling while standing on Terra Firma, also in teeny-tiny increments. A long and aggravating process, but one that is complete.


We have shade.
And all the awning's mechanisms seem to be in fine working order, too. We are relieved, Gentle Reader. As well as being somewhat wiser.

Today's Pic: Another shot of those fascinating mammatus clouds. Last evening was the first time I'd ever seen such clouds... thus my obsessive behavior. They are astounding to witness.

Update, Saturday evening: From the Portales News-Tribune:
Roosevelt County and city of Portales residents were running for cover Friday after a severe storm brought high winds estimated to have reached 75 mph by the National Weather Service.

The storm blew down trees, power lines and a sign, and took the roof off of two buildings in Portales.
Roosevelt County Emergency Management Coordinator Keith Wattenbarger said the damage was fairly minimal for the winds the area had.

[...]

The county reported downed power lines and shingles taken off of roofs in Dora. Both Milnesand and Elida had reports of no damage.

National Weather Service meteorologist Chuck Jones, who works in Albuquerque, said there were reports of 68-69 mph winds, with estimated 75 mph gusts in the area.

“Obviously, the wind was the big winner with this storm,” Jones said. “The main thing was the storm was moving very quickly and produced some pretty high winds.”

Yup. All that and a bag o' chips, as it's said. Lest you think us something of a collection of rubes when we get all excited over a little wind... it beats a mass-murderer on the loose, dontcha think?

6 comments:

  1. MissBirdlegs in AL19 July, 2009 11:02

    Love the pic! We had a weather phenomenon here in N. AL a couple of months ago that none of us had ever experienced or even heard of - a gravity wave. Winds blew at a steady 50-60 mph for over three hours - during the night! Big trees, limbs, power lines, outbuildings and roofing shingles were down everywhere. Roofing companies really got a "stimulus".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of a gravity wave, either. I had to go to The Wiki and look it up... interesting, to say the least. I'm glad you're OK. Miss B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of Roofs. Many years ago I was stationed on a radar site located in northern Minnesota on the shores of Lake Superior. My family and I were living in base housing. The Commander instructed us to remove the snow from our roofs because it was so heavy. So, like the good airman I was, I grabbed my snow shovel (I've lived in Florida so long that I don't remember what a snow shovel looks like)and got on the roof. I got the front done pretty easily. I would start on the peak, get it moving and it would slide off. I started on the back of the roof and the snow seemed to be frozen to the roof so I had to push it all the way down to the eave. Little did I know that metal strips had been installed over the doors and windows to deflect the water from the melting snow. My first wife was in the kitchen at the sink when the snow shovel hit the metal strip and stopped, I continued on over the edge of the roof and headfirst into the snow bank under the window. When I finally got out of my predicament and wiped the snow from my face I saw the Mother of my children laughing hysterically. No sympathy at all, not even an "are you ok?". And to put icing on the cake, my neighbor saw it, you can guess the rest. That's one reason I don't like roofs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story, Dan. I dunno if I'd have ventured out on the roof, what with my acrophobia. But... I sympathize with you. After the fact, of course. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those clouds do look foreboding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lou: The mammatus clouds are magnificent!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.