Friday, July 31, 2009

More Odds and Sods

New to me, maybe not to you... Auto-Tune The News:



Politico has a good backgrounder on Michael Gregory, the guy behind Auto-Tune the News. The vid above is but one of six on Gregory's YouTube Channel. Great stuff be there!

―:☺:―

I am NOT alone! From the NYT:

Wake up, America! Fully one in three adults admit that on any typical day they take a nap, according to a national survey released Wednesday.

The proportion of self-proclaimed nappers was even higher among adults who had trouble sleeping the night before and who had exercised within the past 24 hours. It was also disproportionately higher among people who are poorer, black, men older than 50, men and women over 80 and among people who are not happy.
Well... I'm pretty much a Happy Camper but I AM over 50 and I often find myself upside down where my sleeping habits are concerned. I'm also "poorer." Or at least a lot poorer than I used to be when I was gainfully employed. But what does it for (to?) me is a couple o' three beers under the awning in 90-degree heat. That makes naps kinda automatic, yanno? Happens nearly EVERY day...

The article also claims a lot of us lie about naps, as if napping was something to be ashamed of. Not according to Churchill or Reagan... who were famous nappers (and heroes of mine, too). I'm kinda-sorta an infamous napper.

―:☺:―

The Last Word on The Beer Summit (around here, anyhoo):
But it wouldn't be a contrived Washington event without a contrived Washington protest. Already, "Citizens Against the Beer Summit at White House", a makeshift gathering spearheaded by Baltimore pastor Dr. Emmett Burns, will picket the White House today between 12 and 3 p.m. "The president's actions are sending the wrong message to our nation's youth who are becoming alcoholics at young ages," reads an announcement for the protest. "This pernicious habit is also the reason for the large number of teen motor vehicle accidents throughout the country."

―:☺:―

Today's Pic: One of our periodic gratuitous baby pictures. This one includes YrHmblScrb when he was much better looking... which, of course, is speaking strictly about ourselves and relative to where we are today... and not to Male Pulchritude, in general.

If your name is Lou, Dan, or mebbe Bob you might be thinkin' you've seen this pic before. Nope. It's different. Same people, same place (Key West), same general time (March 1998), different day, different hat on SN3, different pose. Different!

6 comments:

  1. Oh boy, the beer thing. How did I just KNOW something like this was on the way? I am the Dipso, and I am offended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't hang out for long today -- I need to go take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy sez: I am the Dipso, and I am offended.

    Yup... me, too. Asshats always have to put their damned two cents in and ruin the fun, don't they?

    Moogie: Yep... me, too. On that nap thing... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all in favor of naps and beer. I just don't see how that could be a bad message to our young people - naps and beer make me a happy camper. In fact in some countries they advertise beer as being very macho so that people do not drink hard liquor. In that same country, they take siestas.

    I'm not sure I have seen that pic before - handsome men!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou: I'm most definitely with you on the naps and beer thing. I've always been a big fan of naps... I used to close my office door (when I had one) shortly after lunch and take a short nap. That made for a much nicer afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That auto-tune the news thing is awesome! That took some work.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.