Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tonight's ADWH Soundtrack

Just in from ADWH which, truth be told, was After Dinner Whiskey TWO Hours and then some.  We went out sometime around 1900 hrs and watched our skies go from bright blue to pink to sandstone twilight to purple and then to black.  It was one of those nights where we simply didn't want to go back indoors -- finest kind, in other words.

Our soundtrack was excellent, as well (as always and ever), with oh-so-many candidates for the sampling that is our post on this subject.  Lotsa Dylan, lotsa Neil Young, and a smattering of traditional blues... and it's the Trad Blues that wins.  Here's Lightnin' Hopkins doin "Katy Mae Blues:"

You know some folks say she must be a Cadillac,
but I say she must be a T-model Ford
Yeah, you know some folks say she must be a Cadillac,
but I say she must be a T-model Ford
Yeah, you know she got the shape all right, but she can't carry no heavy load 
Heh.  Cuts right to the chase, Ol' Lightnin' does.  Those Cadillac girls beat the Model Ts every time.  There's much to be said for the "built for comfort, not speed" school of thought.

I mentioned Dylan... and there were lots of Dylan tunes to choose from.  I heard "Tangled Up in Blue," one of my absolute faves, and "Shelter From the Storm," yet another fave.  The lyrics, in part:
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair.
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns.
"Come in," she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

Now there's a wall between us, somethin' there's been lost

I took too much for granted, got my signals crossed.
Just to think that it all began on a long-forgotten morn.
"Come in," she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."
Yeah... it was like that.  More than you'll ever know, Gentle Reader.

But it was old, old Dylan that I heard tonight and those were the tunes I liked the best.  Here's one such... a 1962 recording of "Girl From the North Country:"


Good Lord... were we... and he... ever that young?  Really?

10 comments:

  1. I must be a pick-up truck - built for work, but lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I've always loved Lightnin'. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to hear some during my work day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou: You can be whatever you WANT to be!

    Jim: My pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL about the old pictures bt, Buck. I'm getting to be like a Vampire--don't want to look in the mirror anymore--I still think I'm 19! (Once my joints have unlimbered :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: the last line of your post. I hear you. *Sigh*

    I do enjoy your wistful reflections on your past; they strike a chord with me too. When you say "...it was like that"... I remember being a woman on the other side of that kind of issue. Why is it so hard for men & women to get things straight and right between them???

    Thanks for the Dylan. I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have often said that I am built for comfort, not for speed.

    Mind you, I can move fast when I need to. I just make sure I don't need to very often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still think I'm 19!

    Funny how that works, innit? I have the same problem.

    Red: Thanks for that. Sometimes I think people MUST get tired of my goin' on about lost love (read as: whining), but the loss is a constant companion. I've spent many an hour wonderin' about the question you pose and I haven't reached a satisfying conclusion yet. I prolly never will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris: Heh. Planning and foresight usually minimizes the need to move quickly. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dylan is doing a concert here tonight with Leon Russell. We're. Ot going, cause last time we saw Dylan at Jazzfest we were sooo disappointed. I'd rather have the memory.

    Now, Clapton, o. The other hand, I could see every day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen Dylan, Moogie... our paths never crossed. More's the pity, coz I think he's too old now. But I give him max points for stayin' in the game at his age.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.