Saturday, October 29, 2011

Clarkson On Open-Air Motoring

That's the title of Jalopnik's Number Three choice of Jeremy Clarkson's Ten Best Lines, ever... and here's the quote, quoted:
3.) Clarkson on the joys of open-air motoring
Suggested By: AJ Supera
Why it's brilliant: "My epiglottis is full of bees!" Clarkson may have really gotten Top Gear going with his early review of the Ariel Atom, and it was lines like this, and, well, whatever flapping noise his face was making in the wind that got the world hooked.
And the video from whence it came:


I can relate to the above... speaking as a guy who rode sportbikes for over 40 years.  While we're on the subject I think I'd like to have an Atom; but with that said I'll stick with The Green Hornet.  TGH doesn't have NEAR the power of an Atom but it provides all the sensations of open-air motoring along with a kick-ass stereo AND air conditioning.  OK, so I am compensating.  What of it?

If you love cars and bon mots you can waste well over an hour at the Jalopnik link above; there's some seriously GOOD stuff there.  Mr. Clarkson can certainly turn a phrase.

5 comments:

  1. You've read what he has to say about the Miata, haven't you?

    http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/447336-clarkson-give-mazda-miata-14-stars.html

    Excerpt: "...the MX-5 demonstrates that [a BMW roadster's] extra speed, extra grip and extra size is all a bit wasteful. In the little Japanese car you get exactly what you need, and exactly the space you need, and nothing more.

    I realise that the hairy-chested among you will be scoffing and tutting and heading straight for this column on the internet so you can speak your mind. You will say “girl’s car” and “gay” and all sorts of other things.

    Well, that’s fine. You waste your money on a Mustang or a Ferrari. The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value. Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that, Barry. And no, I hadn't read it. It used to bug me to hear "chick car" but that quit annoying me years ago. There's more than a few reasons I've hung on to TGH for 11 years. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have enjoyed seeing Clarkson pull a quart (litre?) of milk out of the trunk/boot in front...

    super cool video Buck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once I get Carrie done with grad school (next year) I'm going to keep my eyes open for a 2005 or later Miata (six-speed manual, please) on the used market. I want it for a weekend runabout and exploring-the-countryside car.

    I think I'm about to turn into the guy with three cars in his driveway - a daily driver, a pickup truck and a convertible. Well, I always did hear that this was the ideal...

    ReplyDelete
  5. marc: Yeah, it would have been a quart. The UK hasn't gone Full Monte on that metric thang. Yet.

    Barry: You live in great country for a roadster, Miata or otherwise. Or at least I remember it as such, based upon my one brief visit to Raleigh some years ago. I agree with your "three vehicles" maxim, too.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.