Sunday, February 26, 2012

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

Or: A cultural snapshot of the mid-sixties.


Fer geezers only, obviously, but the person who put the video together did a brilliant job of illustrating the lyrics, dint he?  The tune is from Simon and Garfunkel's seminal album "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme..." which is playin' on the stereo, as we speak.  The post title is actually a misnomer, as we're still drinkin' our morning coffee, on the verandah.  The day is positively brilliant:  we hit the verandah at noon in short sleeves and can see ourselves out there all freakin' DAY.  It's in the mid-sixties, the wind is only a light breeze, and the skies are completely cloud-free.

The house is gettin' aired out, too.  Brilliant!

8 comments:

  1. A blast from the past, sort of. Now I'm remembering Bridge Over Troubled Water, though it came later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck, you mentioned switching radio stations a couple of posts ago, so let me recommend trying "1.fm" It has an incredible variety of music headings to chose from and lets you nominate one (or is it two?) songs per 24/hrs to add to their current playlist under the particular heading you are listening to. (And they DO play it--just not right away) You ought to check it out..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buck, we've had great weather here too. For several days now. Buttercups are out, Forsythia's budding, I'm feeling some spring.

    That's a great tune. I don't know why, but I've never heard it before. We couldn't afford a stereo until like '68, and even though we liked S and G, we didn't buy any of their albums at the time. It's definitely a cultural snapshot of the sixties and, as you say, the vid pics illustrate it perfectly. Sounds Dylanesque, did S and G write it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I played a lot o' Simon yesterday, Ivan. There's a brilliant live version of BOTW featuring the Jesse Norman singers on the "Live Rhymin'" album. It might be on The Tube O' You, too, but I haven't looked.

    Virgil: Thanks for the tip. I'm REALLY happy with Pandora and can't imagine anyone doin' what they do better than the way they do it. Did that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were commenting together but separate, Dan. Simon wrote the tune.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to mention, Buck "Groove-Shark" is good also--is the one my son uses most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The video was fun, although I was just a baby...

    I'm thinking Paul Simon is about my favorite singer/songwriter, and my Pandora is usually set to him and his genre, which is a wide variety.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul is ONE o' my favorites, Lou. Van Morrison and Neil Young are in my personal Top Five, too.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.