Monday, March 19, 2012

Today's GOML Moment

I'm just in from running my errands, part o' which included goin' to Wally-World where we dropped well over 60 Yankee Dollars... that would be $68.98, exactly... on six new ink cartridges for our printer.  I've owned this printer for about four or five years now and I swear I've spent three times as much on ink cartridges as I did to buy the gotdamned printer itself.  I sure do miss that old HP LaserJet I had for ten or 15 years.  It didn't do color, but it was as reliable as a brick and toner cartridges were cheap.

What makes the situation doubly irritating is I used to be able to print in grayscale... black and white only... when one of the color cartridges went dry.

But no more.

I've spent a couple o' few hours trying to figger out exactly why this is so, all to no avail.  It's possible that I'm mis-remembering, but I swear I used to be able to do that.  And we must print, now that we have finished our taxes.  (No e-File this year; I have a ream of supporting documentation I have to mail.)

Which might could be yet another GOML moment.  I'm still not quite sure how a guy who lives on Social Security, a military pension, and a pittance of a civilian pension (which barely keeps me in beer and cigars) manages to owe the gub'mint money every single year.  Don't tell me to withhold more, coz I already have the Air Force hold back an extra $50.00 per month.  Add to that the fact that I have to send the state of New Mexico a check for a couple o' hunnert Yankee Dollars, and you have a situation that's just two ticks to the left of GET OFF MY LAWN!

13 comments:

  1. Buck, I got a new HP printer a while back. Had only EVER used Epson, so it took me a few minutes to figure out how to turn the color off. But, it's in there somewhere.

    As to ink...

    I always use 123injkets.com I've been buying from them for probably 10 years, and only had a couple of cartridges that didn't work when installed. I do a LOT of printing, and at about 1/3 the price, I can live with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW it's in there, somewhere, mainly coz I used to do it. But where? I've tried every-damned-thang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Printers are fairly cheap these days, but they get you with the ink. Kind of like the Kindle and Amazon. But for some reason, the ink/printer thang makes me crazy.

      Delete
    2. The ink thang makes me crazy, too. I FINALLY tracked down an answer to my issue on the web, it seems that HP InkJets require colored ink to be present on the print head so the head doesn't burn out, even if you're only printing B&W.

      Delete
  3. Taxes suck. That's not news, of course, but I always feel better when I say it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind paying SOME tax, but the amount I pay seems over the top for an old retired guy.

      Delete
  4. Ah ... tax season. Dual income, no kids, house that is nearly paid off. We file single/zero so the gubmint takes the max the law allows upfront - and it's not enough.

    I don't understand how they get away with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel yore pain, Kris. TSMP and I were in the same boat after I transitioned to civilian life. I didn't make enough money for Our Favorite Uncle to care about while I was in the AF, but he CERTAINLY made up for lost time when I began making decent money.

      Delete
  5. I have no idea how to respond to this without getting pissed off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, ya could always kick sumthin'... ;-)

      Delete
  6. Hey Buck, I didn't know you had an HP. If you haven't found it yet, when you click to print, and the box appears, click on "Properties," then on "Advanced."

    Next to "Print in grayscale," click "Off." Click on the drop down thingy, and select "black ink only."

    At least that's how mine works. And, my Epsons all had to have colored ink, too...sigh.

    Seriously, 123inkjets.com is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been there, tried that, didn't work. (sigh)

      Delete
  7. Well crap! Works for me.

    Your printer sucks!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.