Sunday, March 25, 2012

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

It's another good day here on The High Plains o' New Mexico... not brilliant, coz the wind is a bit to the right o' breezy... but good enough that we have our windows open and are listening to our own stuff once again, as opposed to Pandora.  

Our selections today span a good amount o' time, from my high school days up until about two or three years ago.  Specifically: Volume Six of Atlantic's Rhythm and Blues Compendium, Robbie Robertson's eponymous album, Dylan's "Blood On the Tracks," Elvis Costello's "This Year's Model," and Lyle's "Live in Texas."  We have our CD changer in "random" mode and that makes for some rather jangling segues... like having Elvis' "I Don't Wanna Go (to Chelsea)" follow Aretha's "A Natural Woman."   But it is what it is and I'm enjoying what it is... immensely.

I bought four of those five albums in Former Happy Days and a couple o' those albums featured prominently in the soundtrack of our life (lives?) during that time.  Music bein' what it is... and by that I mean the power it has to transport us to moments both happy and sad... we've had quite a few "interesting" moments this afternoon.  But we shall resist the temptation to get all maudlin on ya once again.  So.  What to choose from all o' the above?  Let's go with this:

Who else is gonna bring you
A broken arrow
Who else is gonna bring you
A bottle of rain
There she goes, moving across the water
There she goes turning my whole
world around

Do you feel what I feel

Can we make that so it's part of the deal
I gotta hold you in these arms of steel
Lay your heart on the line ... this time

I wanna breathe when you breathe

When you whisper like that hot
summer breeze
Count the beads of sweat that cover me
Didn't you show me a sign, this time
I think that's one of the best love songs ever penned, not so much for the emotion expressed in the lyrics, but for the sheer geekiness of it (and the emotion, too).  Those of us of a quirky nature really appreciate the broken arrow and bottle o' rain aspects of the lyrics.  Coz we've been known to bring our beloved a bottle o' rain or sumthin' like it, yanno?

5 comments:

  1. Great song and video. I like Robertson a lot, always have. And as for the those quirky gifts, I've always enjoyed being on both the giving and receiving end of that kind of gift. When we were in our first year of college together and I was pretty much penniless, I gave Joyce a little penknife I got out of a nickel gumball machine. She's still got it. She once gave me a pack of chewing gum (Clove, I believe) on our first anniversary. We both chewed up the pack. But I still remember the gift. I've got a Robertson album somewhere which I'm gonna dig out and see if this song is on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you've broached the subject... one of the best things TSMP ever gave me was a story she made out of clippings... from Playboy, various other magazines, and newspapers (title: "Entertainment For Men"). The story was actually addressed to me and my roommate at the time, who was the Best Man at our wedding the following summer. I still have it. There were other things, too... but that's the first thing that comes to mind. Your examples... and TSMP's story... prove the "it's the thought that counts" line.

      Delete
  2. Quirky gifts are always fun. My dad was the best at giving them. This is a great song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song is one of my all-times faves.

      Delete
  3. SIL#2 gave Younger Daughter a Kit Kat bar for their first Valentine's Day. Now she has to have one every year.

    Great song

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.