Thursday, June 21, 2012

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack...

... is an earworm I've had since noon yesterday.

Hey now baby, get into my big black car
Hey now baby, get into my big black car
I wanna just show you what my politics are. 
I wonder why this tune's stuck in my head? free smileys

Speakin' o' earworms... there's a study about that (of course. isn't there a study about every-frickin'-thing?):
“Earworms is a colloquial name for a phenomena in music psychology—an experience when you get a song or a piece of song such as chorus [stuck in your head] without a willing attempt to experience a musical memory,” says Lassi A. Liikkanen, who published two papers about earworms recently in the journals Psychology of Music and Musicae Scientiae.   

...

Songs such as “Call Me Maybe” or fun's “We Are Young” seem to pop into our brains against our will. Seeing an album cover or recalling a memory associated with a song can induce an earworm. Liikkanen, who surveyed more than 12,000 Finish Internet users about earworms, found that nearly 90 percent of people experience involuntary imagery of music.
"Finish" internet users?  Are they done with the 'net?  Or what?  Frickin' clue-free MSM...

And speakin' o' big black cars... there's this about the last big black car I owned:



Note the sticker price on that Impala, which was the asking price for the car back in 1995 when I bought it.  That would be $36,391.24 translated into 2010 dollars, which is roughly the sticker price on The Dowager Tart, give or take a grand or two.  TDT has everything that Impala had and more... plus the fact it gets better fuel economy (TDT: 27 mpg highway) and makes 20 more horsepower from a motor just slightly larger than half the size of the Impala's (3.0 liter & 270 hp for TDT, 5.7 liters & 250 hp for the Impala).  Plus TDT has OnStar, satellite radio, traction control, StabiliTrak, and a six-speed auto vs none of the foregoing and the Impala's four-speed automatic.

Still and even, I LOVED that Impala and I'd prolly still have it if I hadn't opted for a mobile lifestyle.  The car was that good, and I hope I feel the same way about TDT three or four years on.

13 comments:

  1. I like the wheels on that Impala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who GM sourced for the wheels, but they had a problem holding air. I've heard that's a common problem with aluminum wheels.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “I wonder why this tune's stuck in my head?”

    ‘Cause it’s a great effing song! Get the earworm on this song every so often myself.

    “I’m… a…Poli...ti…cal man…”

    ReplyDelete
  4. The term "earworm" reminds me of a story on the old 70s Sci-Ft/Fantasy-Horror series "The Night Gallery" about a man whose enemy planted an insect--an "earwig --in his ear which crawled into his brain, causing him excrusciating, almost unbearable pain, but survived when it finally emerged from the opposite ear. At first relieved (even tho physically drained) to find that he had survived and the pain gone, he is horrified (as was the viewer, namely ME) when his physician and insect consultant inform him that the insect was a pregnant female who had laid millions of eggs in his brain..I still shudder thinking of that episode and the mental picture of the prospect of what horror was yet to inevitably come....THANKS FOR THE REMINDER, FRIEND BUCK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De nada, Virg. Glad to have been of servicio. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I saw that episode, Virgil, when I was very young. Scared the crap out of me, and still gives me the willies to think about it.

      Delete
    3. I saw that episode too! It made a big impression on me - freaked me out!

      Delete
    4. I never saw it. So now I gotta go look for it on The Tube o' You.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the education, Buck. I am a constant victim of earworms...just didn't know the term.

    "Finish internet users." Nyuk...

    And, I'll third Andy & Lou on the Night Gallery episode. Remember it well. Too well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't it amazing that the "Finish" thang got by the editors?

      Delete
  6. Well ya' know, Buck.

    "Layers of editorial oversight"...and all.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.