Friday, July 27, 2012

So Then There's This...



That's a screen shot of this article at NBCNews.com and I chose to post the screenshot because of the poll at the lower right.  Granted, this is a VERY small sample and the poll is unscientific at the very best.  But: suspicions confirmed, eh?

I have other issues with this study, as well.  While I feel the findings are more than accurate for hip-hop and its various permutations (i.e., too frickin' loud and sounding the same to the point of serious monotony) I feel that comparing Led Zep or The Stones to anyone from Motown or the Beach Boys, even, is a bridge way too far.  By that I mean the study allegedly examined pop tunes all the way back to 1962, so you'd have to include artists like Sinatra, Herb Alpert, and Tony Bennett in that mix, too. They sound the same as Snoop Dog?  Yeah, right.

YMMV, of course.

h/t: Shoebox blog.

3 comments:

  1. I would be hard pressed to define the word "pop music" used in this study. Are they talking BS (Barbara Streisand), Humperdink, Mathieu, etc, etc?

    On a side note, I got completely bored with music about 1975. I faded into country music when the local bar band played that, and then after I moved out of Hooterville, I just went wierd. To me, I have a mental limit to overdubbing. Go ahead, overdub that recording, add all the electronic noises you want, but I like a good button accordion with my pork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck, does nearby Eastern NM Univ have a Univ radio statiion? Can you get it? (Some smaller colleges have limited power) And does it play "progressive/"alt" rock, Jazz or what? What's the intel rpt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ENMU does have a radio station... and NPR affiliate... but the station plays frickin' elevator music or worse... like Larry Welk. Feh.

      The BEST college station I ever heard was in Detroit: Wayne State's WDET. I gave those guys some serious money in the wayback and was a member of their highest donor level, which got me some pretty cool bennies, like an invite to their annual donor cocktail party, among other things. I'd be there for ENMU, too... if they were like WDET.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.