Friday, July 20, 2012

Tonight's ADWH Soundtrack...

The Duo-Tones with a remake of a 60's classic:


There's some nice surf footage in the video and that brings back memories of Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach, c. 1962 and 1963, when YrHmblScrb was in his surfer-boy phase.  But, we'll not go there... let's focus on the music, instead.  It turns out that "Apache" was originally written and recorded by a British band around 1960 or so, but their version of the tune is virtually unknown in the US.  Here's the version I remember, made popular by the Ventures in 1962:


You don't need to remind me that the time period we're talking about was 50 years ago.  50!  That got me to thinkin'... my 50th high school reunion would be next year.  Aiiieee!  Not only do I not wanna know... I don't wanna GO, either.

10 comments:

  1. I remember the Jorgen Ingmann version. Wikipedia says it was The Shadows who broke it in Britain in 1961. If I'm not mistaken, I think Cliff Richard was their vocalist for a few years. --Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to The Shadows and Ingmann's versions before I posted last night, Phil. But the Ventures version seemed to be the one I remembered best.

      Delete
  2. Love the style! The surfing video was definitely well made, too!

    (Awww, go ahead and go to the reunion. Just have a quick bailout option and a Call Girl Date)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. I won't go, mainly coz I transferred into the high school I graduated from during my senior year. I barely knew anyone.

      Delete
  3. I know the Ventures version was the bigger hit in the US, but I remember the original 1960 version that was played a lot in the US as well, because that was the summer of my Soph yr in HS and the family took a 6,000 mile vacation covering the West going out the '66 Route to LA from our home in East-Central Illinois, thence up the Coast to SF via the PCH thru Carmel, etc., then down into the Central Valley to visit relatives, then back thru Salt Lake, up thru Yellowstone, Wyo, SD & Mt Rushmore, then back down thru Den, Colo Springs, then home to Ill via KC & St. Louis. Listening to that song all that summer of 1960 as we crossed the desert in NM & Ariz on way out and thru Utah , etc on way back , seemed sooo appropriate--really set the mood.. It was still echoing in my head as I sat in class in Sept gazing out the window and thinking back on the vacation.....52 years ago this summer....YIKES!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one helluva trip, Virg. We might have seen each other on the road that year and not known it. My Ol' Man retired from the Air Force in the summer of '60 and we drove from DeeSee to Northern Calif via the old 66 (in part). I don't remember much about that trip except for my Dad yelling "You want me to stop this car? You DON'T want me to stop this car!" about every hundred miles or so.

      Delete
  4. PS: The Grand Canyon left me ABSOLUTELY speach-less--first (and last) time THAT's ever happened! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love us some Ventures around here.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.