Tuesday, December 18, 2012

First Report On the Long-Term Road Test

We've had The Tart for six months now.  Or nearly, as it were, coz we're a lil bit premature on the six months thang.  But what the Hell, now's as good a time as any for a six-month report.  We'll let The Tart speak for herself when it comes to the vitals:




I haven't reset any of these numbers since I got the car, so the fuel economy and average speed numbers are from Day One.  The fuel economy has been steadily improving now that she's broken in.  Cadillac claims a 22 mpg combined fuel economy for the CTS, so I can't complain.  I think that number's pretty good, actually, given that most of her miles have been on the highway... at highway speeds, which tend to be around 80 mph or so.  (The "or so" is for plausible deniability purposes.)

I don't have any real complaints about the car and I really shouldn't have any complaints.  I do have one nit to pick, however.  The Tart has an automatic headlight control feature and its default is "on."  I don't like driving around with my headlights on so I have to remember to shut the damned things off every time I start the car.  As I said: that's a nit.  The good news is Cadillac has eliminated the daytime running lights that you see on every other GM car... which is why the default position for the headlights is "on," I'm sure.  But you can defeat it.  I hate those damned DRLs.

And that's it.  The Tart has met or exceeded my expectations in each and every area.  She's fast (enough), comfortable, quiet, reasonably frugal, and an overall joy to live with.  She's also downright freakin' beautiful, mebbe even THE most beautiful car I've ever owned.  (Ed: prettier than this?  Me: Yup.)

All of the above combine to be a collective Good Thing, seein' as how The Tart might be the very last car I'll ever buy.  I say that because I'm a "buy and hold" guy when it comes to cars.  I'll be 79 years old if I keep The Tart until her 12th birthday... which is how long The Green Hornet and I were together.  THAT might could be a bridge too far.

14 comments:

  1. Interesting that you don't like the auto-on feature for the headlights. I don't like it either, the WSOs old car had that and it freaked me out a bit. That being said, I always drive with my headlights on. It's a habit I picked up in Germany. In conditions of less-than-perfect visibility, German law demands that the headlights shall be on (or you VILL be shot!) So I guess I'm a control freak, I don't want the machine deciding when my headlights are on, I'll do that, thank you very much.

    Hhhm, I don't recall a photo of you and The Tart together (a la Buck & Vette, or is it Vette & Buck?) then those of discerning taste could do a compare and contrast. Buck & Vette might be prettier, but I'm betting that Buck & Tart are way more dignified.

    For one, I'm hoping you'll have the opportunity for automobile shopping when The Tart begins to show her age, in a decade or two. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much don't like the machine to decide anything for me. That said, I leave the traction control on all the time, even though it can be turned off. But there were times when I turned the traction control off in the Vette... for the fun that was in it. ;-)

      ...I'm betting that Buck & Tart are way more dignified.

      The Tart? Yes. Buck? Heh. You're REALLY an optimist, Sarge.

      Delete
    2. I'm impressed.
      Kinda wonder what average mileage would be if the upper speed was closer to 65mph or so? Not that I know anyone who drives like that.

      Delete
    3. Heh. I'd get run over, or get the bird, or get glared at... at the VERY least... if I drove 65 mph around here. The speed limit is 75 on the greatest part o' I-40 between here and ABQ; I set my cruise control at 81 or 82 when I'm on that road and STILL get passed.

      But... to answer your question... I'd guess the average economy would go up by at least 2 mpg. That's based on the "instant economy" read-out that I usually monitor while driving.

      Delete
  2. On the Camry, you can turn the DRL on or off. I like 'em on. In fact, there are so many choices, I get confused. And I have a hot flash...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's a matter of taste where the DRLs are concerned. I have hot flashes, too... FWIW. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I'm like you and sarge (must be a geezer generational thang :) )about not liking DRLs. Did you ever notice that in daylight opposing lights can make on-comming traffic seem to almost disappear? Durring WW II we (the Allies) lined the leading edge of anti-sub aircraft with spots for that that very reason--it made the ac seem to "disappear" to the naked eye at a distance thru a sub periscope or to lookouts on a surfaced sub due to the glare effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never noticed the phenomenon you speak of, Virg. I just don't like the damned things.

      Delete
  4. Hmm....the impending fiscal cliff is putting my own desires for a Tart of my own on hold, for now. Your post doesn't help me get beyond my pain Buck. But - I am happy for you. I guess. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You don't think Congress will FIX this? For shame... ;-)

      Delete
  5. 79? Hell, Buck, LOTS of people are hale and hearty well into late 80s, just don't get caught "slippin' thru the alley with Sally" and you'll be fine, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lotsa people that live to their late 80s can actually BREATHE, too.

      Delete
  6. The Tart's a beauty, Buck. May you (and she) live long and prosper.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.