Monday, December 17, 2012

Not Your Father's Air Force XXIII

But it's a great place to work...
Lucky Thirteen: Airmen voted the Air Force the 13th best place to work in 2012 among the federal government's large agencies, up five spots compared to 2011. The rating is based on the non-partisan, non-profit Partnership for Public Service's annual survey of employee satisfaction and commitment across 362 federal agencies and subcomponents. As was the case last year, the Air Force finished slightly behind the Navy, which ended up in 10th place in 2012 (up from 15th place in 2011.) Unlike last year, the Air Force finished ahead of the Army, which occupies the 14th spot (up from 16th place in 2011). This year's survey of nearly 700,000 civil servants measured factors including: effective leadership, employee skills and mission match, pay, teamwork; and work-life balance. NASA came in first among the large agencies; the Homeland Security Department was last.
That's according to Silly Servants who are NOT "airmen," they're frickin' civilians who work for the Air Force.  Now that we're clear on that... I'm betting the ranking would be a LOT higher if the troops themselves were polled.  It's that ol' "quality o' life" thang... plus the opportunity to get some million dollar views.

Air Frame: SrA. Timothy Oberman (left) and SSgt. Nick Alarcon watch out the back of their C-130H Hercules after dropping humanitarian goods to Pacific islanders on Dec. 11, 2012, as part of the Air Force's annual Operation Christmas Drop flights. Oberman and Alarcon are loadmasters with the 36th Airlift Squadron at Yokota AB, Japan. (Air Force photo by TSgt. Samuel Morse)

8 comments:

  1. Keeping the faith of the Cargo Cults alive... John Frum will return!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting link, Darryl. I knew about cargo cults but I know a lot more now.

      Delete
  2. That's the truth, Buck. I never served myself, but grew up around the USAF. Eldest son (as you know) is an Airman...I swear, I've looked at opportunities for young people from all angles (having many young people I've cranked out), and I really can't see a better path for a sharp young person.

    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Andy. The military has always been a good place to start but now that they pay as well as they do it's even better. Hell, you can actually LIVE on the money they make these days.

      Delete
  3. I have never served either. I have a great respect for those who serve, not only for the fact that they fight for my freedom, but for the strength they have to be removed from everything they've known, and their loved ones for such long periods of time. I hate being away from my family even for a couple days. I couldn't imagine being gone for years at a time, I'm pretty sure it would kill me.

    I get choked up watching soldiers come home and reunite with their families... and I don't even KNOW them. I'm cut from a cloth that would get torn apart under such conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, separation ain't fun. But it goes with the territory.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, those million-dollar views. . . And some of 'em, you're not even getting shot at, at the time. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, bullets flying around yer head tend to destroy the aesthetics of the moment.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.