Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Broadening Our Horizons LIII

We're on sumthin' like a posting roll today, this bein' my fourth.  And My!... aren't we chatty?  I HAD to go out earlier, seein' as how the cupboard was nearly bare and we weren't in a mood to play Old Father Hubbard.  Besides that we were nearly outta beer, which is about as close to "crisis-mode" as we get these days.  So we put on our Big-Boy pants and ventured out into the cold cool, sumthin' we don't do unless pressed.  "Nearly outta beer" = pressed.

So our first stop was the Local Likker Locker where we checked all the coolers for sumthin' new and different, deciding on this:

(The bottle is capped coz I already threw the empty away)

That would be a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis, about which this:
Absolutely remarkable that this beer has flown under my radar for so long. Giving the Germans a run with this one.
That would be Jason Alström, one of the Beer Bros and my go-to guy for all things involving barley, hops, and water.  Mr. Alström rates Kellerweis as "World-Class" and I have to agree with him.  This beer has earned a place in my fridge as a regular from now on, displacing the ever-popular Franziskaner when it comes to Weiss Bier.  I really lucked out today! 

Today is the kinda day when a cigar will mysteriously experience spontaneous combustion when placed in an ashtray.  The weird thing is this ONLY happens when the ambient outdoor temperature is below about 55 degrees.  The cigar in question is a Drew Estate Undercrown, a remarkable cigar that's paired with this equally remarkable beer.  From a review by the Stogie Guys:
The resulting cigar is very impressive. It’s slightly milder than the Liga Privada, placing it solidly in the medium (maybe medium-full for some people) spectrum. It’s toasty with nutty flavors and coffee bean. As it develops, roasted tastes dominate and there’s a little spice in the final third.
I suppose our bottom line is Happy Hour is VERY happy.  This is why I'm pretty chatty today, I guess.

7 comments:

  1. Chatty is good; chatty = happy. Or it can equal annoyed beyond all measure which - doesn't seem like you today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind, Kris. I AM in a good mood today.

      Delete
  2. I knew you would have to make a beer run after that "big" snow storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. If the brew tastes as good as the name it's a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is some good stuff, Dan. VERY good!

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.